- (1 Large Whole Chicken) Whole Chicken
- (1) Medium Onion
- (1 Tablespoon) Lemon Juice
- (1 Lemon) Lemon Zest
- (1 teaspoon) Thyme Fresh or Dried
- (1 teaspoon) Basil
- (3/4 teaspoon) Sea Salt
- (1/4 teaspoon) Paprika
- (1/4 teaspoon) Black Pepper
- (2.5 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter Melted
Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
1. Rinse chicken with cold water inside and out. Pat
2. Starting from edge of neck cavity, gently loosen and
lift skin covering breast and legs, being careful not
to tear skin
3. Finely chop enough onion to measure 1 T.; cut
remainder of onion into quarters and place into
cavity of chicken.
4. Stir together chopped onion, lemon juice, zest,
thyme, basil, salt, paprika and pepper in a small bowl.
5. Rub all but 1 T. herb mixture under skin of chicken;
stretch skin back into place.
6. Stir melted butter into remaining herb mixture.
7. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack in large
roasting pan. Brush with some of the butter mixture.
8. Roast at 350 deg F. for two hours or until
thermometer inserted into thigh, not touching bone,
9. Brush chicken occasionally with remaining herb
butter and pan drippings.
10. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.